It’s so discouraging to wake up in the morning and feel like you never went to sleep. If you’re going to feel jet lagged, you should get the vacation that goes with it right? Well if you’re ready to start waking rested and full of energy, you should definitely try these natural and simple tips.
First of all. More caffiene is not the answer even thought most people reach quickly for the nearest cup of coffee on repeat. But have you ever noticed what follows? There’s an afternoon crash that follows around 2 or 3. You reach for another coffee. The caffeine keeps you up until at least 11pm. Then the next day, the cycle repeats.
Not healthy and not helping!
So instead of keeping the fatigue-caffeine-awake-fatigue-caffiene cycle going...
- Protein and fat before bed: Eat protein and a little fat before bed to keep your blood sugar balanced during sleep. This will help you wake up clearer and without the morning headache. This tip is especially good for people who tend toward low blood sugar issues. One idea? Nut butters. Have a spoonful or make a nut-milk with protein powder drink about 45 min before bed!
- Dark room: Having too much light in the room messes with our ability to fall into REM sleep (when we get the most rest). The pituitary gland gets confused, thinks it’s becoming daytime and will cause you to wake up halfway or fully.
- Hydration: Stay hydrated all day. Dehydration can actually lead to more frequent toilet trips. As well, a hydrated body is a hydrated brain. A hydrated brain functions far better in the early morning hours than a dehydrated and slow brain.
- Eucalyptus oil shower in the morning: Eucalyptus oil, a menthol based plant, is known for increasing blood circulation all over the body, which is especially helpful for the mind. By spraying eucalyptus oil into the steam of your shower, your skin, lungs and mental function will be activated, cleansed and boosted!
- High protein within 30 min of waking: So much of our foggy-headedness is due to a lack of nutrients; one of those being protein. Choose the protein that feels most right to you, but we recommend that you consume 20-30 grams. A protein shake is a perfect, quick and easy choice!
- 20 ounces of water in the first hour: Back to hydration. Start clear and well. A quick water intake not only starts your body with a gentle morning cleanse, but also fires up your cells with the needed water to function well.
- Activity - 5 - 10 minutes of body training: Get your body moving. Get the oxygen flowing. Yoga, pilates, cardio, weights. They’re all great. However, choosing an activity that’s grounding is a great way to boost your day.