Often-ignored but totally necessary, self-care can be any behavior or practice that helps us avoid triggering worse health problems (like the risk of heart problems due to high stress, for example) and betters our life quality by improving our mental and physical health through increased self-esteem, less stress, and overall well being. Implementing these simple tips can also help provide balance in our over-stimulating world. .
Problem is, we can just do it once and expect change. New patterns of change in our lives can be hard to commit to as they can seem intimidating or we are are afraid of failing. But I've compiled these tips because they are easy to implement into our daily lives, allowing us to set new patterns.
So get out a pen and paper and write down the ones that feel right to you; ones that you feel you can accomplish and will make you feel good. Cause that's what we all want, right? To feel good?
1. A list within a list - I want you to write a list of the things that make you smile, giggle and make your arms spread open in pure joy. What are those things? Can you think of 3? How can you make those things happen each week or even each day? For some, it's loud happy music and dancing around. For others it's swimming or playing with a child. Think on that one. Life is best experienced when our hearts can smile. What gets yours going?
2. Get Outside. Ditching the comfort of your home gets us out in the world without obligation; cause walking from your front door to your car doesn't count. Get outside, take a walk and BREATHE deeply. Being outside alone is associated with less mental stress and increased quality of living.
3. While You're At It.... Exercise outdoors. We all know the benefits of exercise and even if you're feeling a little shy - there are plenty of ways to get your heart rate going and oxygen pouring into your lungs. Find a friend to play tennis or go on a long walk with. Find a more private park path or beach to stand strong and engage your core muscles. Climb a tree. Hike. Swim. Run. Bike.
4. Eyes Wide Open. Look around and find happiness. Find love. Notice acts of kindness, encouraging words and heart felt smiles. Watch the love between people and see the beauty in the flowers. It can be hard to get past the sadness and hostility in the world, but when we focus on the beauty still present, we are more excited to share it. Be part of a joy revolution - and start with yourself.
5. Pay It Forward. Have you heard of those stories of people in line at Starbucks, waiting to pay, only to find out that the person ahead of them took the bill?
6. Common Scents. Yes, that was intentional. Essential oils are getting more and more recognition for their healing properties and we are happy that it's happening. 4. Breathe the right scents.